R-E-S-P-E-C-T


R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me. If you are old enough to remember the good old Aretha Franklin hit called "Respect", then you know what it is that I refer to. Actually, I think it is incredibly important to know what respect is all about. I don't know if it is just me, or if it is true that society really is getting a little less respectful these days?

I remember as a kid, I was expected to say words like thank you and please, and those were ways that we were trained by our parents and teachers to be polite. I hear less and less polite language on a daily basis these days, and yes, I know that things always change, but what I have to ask is if is it really good to change the stuff about our world that was going right? Is there anything that is wrong with a little old fashioned respect?

To me, respect is several things. I think respect for others typically starts with self-respect. It really does begin with the Golden Rule - who ever had a bad result with "treat others as you yourself would like to be treated"? Is there any way that you can go wrong with that advice? It is the one value that assures that the world will be more civil.

If you speak to someone in an unkind manner, what does that really do except provide a moment of an undeserved feeling of relief to the person hurling the insult? Does it ever elevate another human being to tear down another? I can claim the converse of what I said earlier - I have never seen a good result from purposeful rudeness or unkindness. Treating others fairly, exercising patience, using civility in our dealings with others - these are all positive characteristics and will help us to earn the respect of others in our presence, no matter what their age or status.

As a respectful person, you just know how to show tolerance for all people and to respect their rights. It is especially critical in these times when there are more acts of disrespect than any other time that I can remember. I can barely go a day without hearing incredibly rude language and it even assaults me now from my own television set. I get so tired of hearing it that I have taken to turning my TV off a lot of the time when I am at home.

If showing appropriate respect is an area of weakness for you, just try this. The next time it occurs to you to say something hurtful or impolite, just think twice. Ask yourself what good will come out of it.

Then, follow Aretha's lead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!