Waiting on the snow, yo.

I am very anxiously curious... will we or will we not have a school closing snow tonight? It is predicted to begin snowing late tonight and if the temperature remains cold enough, I feel like we could have another day off. I think the predicted range of temperatures is 30-39 degrees for tomorrow. That may not be quite cold enough. It would be a wonderful day for us to get some snow, because it would give me a day to rest up from the week that I had previously. Also, I need some time to regroup and refocus.

I gave some individual photography assignments in my afternoon class, and that one will be interesting. I gave them one word topics, such as these: Mirrors, Music, Glass, Keys, Light, Fur, Windows, Violence, Silence, Dirt, Wheels, Alone, Caged, Gears, Movement, Glee, Overcome, Broken, Soft, Automatic, Tough, Transparent,Convoluted, Fluid, Pointed, Spiral, and Stripes. The students are to think beyond the obvious solution and see if they can come up with beyond the norm photographic compositions that express whatever word they were assigned. I can hardly wait to see what they come up with.

I am looking forward to the rest of this semester. Really, the hardest part of the semester is past us now, and we can go forward to much more challenging work than we have been doing. I want to give them "shorter fuse" projects - things that they have to complete in a short period of time. I want them to finish the work they have been doing on the projects that we kicked off the semester with, and I want to give them new things to do. I am always so happy when SkillsUSA is over and we get to move forward with things that are a little more exciting.

Interestingly, this group of students is very self-motivated and they all love to create. I just think that they may be more wide ranging in their interests. We have painters, photographers, motion designers, illustrators, graphic designers, and a few that probably will major in marketing or advertising. I think that there may not be as many "straight up design students" as there were even last year. I find it interesting to see that things have flexed that much in one year.

Many of these kids will end up working in the field in some way, and it will be fun to see where their careers will take them. I got a really nice letter from a former student in my e-mail last week before all of the craziness of SkillsUSA happened, and he was telling me about how he was trying to figure out what he wanted to do and was living in another southern state. He ended up declaring a graphic design major, and he was saying that he remembers so much about his time at DJCC and thanked me for being the one who pushed him harder than any other teacher has since in his creative thinking. He had gone to an out of state community college for a few years, and was feeling particularly underchallenged, and felt that he was very far ahead of the other students in that school's design program. He asked me to give him an assignment to keep him creating. It made me realize how deep this desire to be creative is in these students. It is wonderful to have been able to be a part of getting that started. It is wonderful to be asked to help them keep from losing the spark.

At this point in our lovely February, the best advice that I can give us all is the wonderful advice reflected in the poster above...Keep calm and carry on.

Great advice.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!