Best of Show: Nick and Conner

Today I wasn't in school. Instead it was a rainy, gray, drizzly drive to and then back from Waco. Being the District 4 Technical Chairs, we had a responsibility to set up all of the projects for display today. There were about 52 total Ad Design projects in our district this year, and they are all judged and rated and ribboned now. The blog entry for tomorrow will have a full listing of the students who will be advancing to state for projects, but for now I can say that two DJCC students have won recognition for Best of Show in both Advertising Design and Illustration categories. Nick Hummert's technical illustration of a Saleen F150 was singled out for Best of Show in illustration. Nick is a senior from Hebron HS who plans to attend Texas Tech University next year. For the first time ever, a motion graphics entry was named the Best of Show in advertising design, and that honor goes to Conner Tozier, who was recently accepted to CalArts and hopes to attend if he can get a scholarship to assist him with the expense. Conner is a senior from Hebron HS as well. I am very proud of how the students from DJCC did, and I can't wait to announce the list of students who qualified for State on this blog tomorrow. Both of the Best of Show winners are featured on earlier entries on this blog. http://adteacher.blogspot.com/2010/02/nick-is-slick-artist.html http://adteacher.blogspot.com/2010/02/conner-keeps-hitting-them-out-of-park.html  Look for them!

I decided that Ninfa's Mexican restaurant has the best green sauce of anywhere on the planet a long time ago, and today I ate some for the first time in a long time. There are no Ninfa's restaurants left in the Dallas area, but there is one in Waco. (In my opinion, it is the best thing in Waco.) We "cheated" a little tiny bit today and ate there, and I had two - yes, two - of the little bowls of green sauce. I was unable to control myself. (I guess we all have to mess up a little bit every once in awhile.)

I have lost a total of 16 pounds in about 6 weeks, and I really want to lose about 50 more, but I won't stay on track unless I stay away from this green stuff! It is heavenly though, and it is more of a temptation for me than any of the rich sweet desserts that tempt most folks. I am not a sugar addict, I am a Mexican food addict. I eat some of it still, but chips and sauces have been off my legal list since I started the Belly Fat Cure diet several weeks ago. I am determined to lose more weight, so I will be back on track as of NOW! Determination in check! For those of you who want to try some of this sauce at home, here is a link to a copycat recipe. Enjoy it! http://www.recipezaar.com/Ninfas-Green-Sauce-34965

There isn't much other news today. I am home tonight and will drive back to Waco tomorrow. (Wanted to save the school district a little money on a hotel room tonight, and really don't mind the drive too much.) I have to pick up the projects and attend the awards ceremony. It is nice to be here on my couch, petting the dogs and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich - not with the same hand. (Legal sandwich on sprouted whole grain bread! Yes, and using almond butter. And sugar-free mountain berry jam.) I hope that we get a lot done on the house this weekend in terms of getting ready for the wedding.
I am getting anxious to get the new "guest bedroom" ready. I plan to put a Beatles theme in there, and I am going to go pick up my old General Electric 1956 TV set from the storage unit for the corner in there. I can't wait! It's kind of like the television set on the upper right on this grid. It has been working steadily since 1956. Scott had it at his house for quite a long time, but has run out of room for it. Now it is going to come live in Carrollton, and I hope I can keep it running for quite some time. It is funny to think of turning a TV set on and waiting for it to "warm up" because of the old TV tubes, and technology that isn't used anymore in our high definition tv sets. The TV we have in our living room right now is so beautiful and I wouldn't trade it for anything, but it will be very cool to have this old beauty in a room that is built around a retro theme. I hope people will enjoy staying in there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!