Self analysis.

Sometimes I think it's a really good thing to stop in your tracks and take stock. Ask yourself how you're doing in life. Just in general.

I try to do that at the end of each day. I ask myself if I said anything to anyone in anger or just out of spite. I ask myself if I ignored someone who might have really needed some special attention from me. I ask myself if I am proud of myself for how I acted.

If I answer too many times in the negative, then I try to talk about it to myself a little bit in my mind. Self analysis. "Hey, dummy! Why did you do that? Maybe you can do better tomorrow, eh?" I know that may seem a little bit odd, but I have been doing that since I was a kid. It's not that I feel that I must be pleasing everyone else at the expense of meeting my own needs, but if I am meeting my own needs at the expense of others... well, I see that as a problem.

Think about it. That good old golden rule should be a guidepost for human behaviour. Who doesn't appreciate being treated well, young and old alike?

Comments

  1. I used to think it was odd when I was a kid when I used self analysis. In high school I was far too critical of myself though. It is a balancing act at times.

    When it comes to art, self analysis has helped me immensely. At the end of every day I look at what I've done, think about what I can do to improve, but understand that whatever I've done that specific day was the best I could make. So the next day I'll do even better, knowing the information from the previous day.

    As a human being, and as a teacher, it is one of the greatest tools. Teaching yourself to be better for those around you. I wish everyone would do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a student and a young kid, my teachers and my parents taught me to be aware of my feelings but also to be aware that other people have important feelings too - and that if I was doing something that hurt anyone else just to make myself feel better about something... that was counterproductive. I think that if there was one most attractive human characteristic that I could name, it would be the ability to improve oneself by thinking intelligently and also using your emotional intelligence to come to conclusions about how you conduct your life and how the decisions you make affect other people.

    So a little self analysis never hurt anyone. Being over-critical of oneself is not productive, but being under-critical isn't either. So it is a balancing act.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!