Nice surprises on Monday morning - thanks, LISD!

So I was just planning on a normal Monday morning... had my travel mug filled with java and had eaten my breakfast, was feeling pretty peppy and ready to start the week. I walked into my studio and said hello to the first few students of the day (David and Jake) and went about getting ready for the arrival of the rest of the students. I was going to walk across the hallway to the front office and I didn't make it very far before someone from our district technology dept. had a delivery for me. I got a new external hard drive for my files - a 1 terrabyte external hard drive! That is fantastic! I will be able to store all of my DJCC history on there easily. That is just so nice. I had purchased two external hard drives on my own, so it is nice that the district provided one.

After I high fived the Technology guy, I went on to go across and check my mailbox. I didn't have anything new in there, so I started on my way back to the studio and I was met by my supervisor, Mr. Holder. He stopped me and said, "I have a delivery for you." When I looked, he had two red boxes in his hands. I noticed right away that they were cameras. I thought that there must be a mistake, but then I remembered that I had requested two Canon T2i cameras for DJCC. They got them for me! Bingo, it was Christmas morning for the Ad Design students! Actually, I am beyond excited about that, because the new teacher at DJCC next year will have two really great cameras in addition to the other very nice Rebels that we already have. I feel much better about leaving them with that, and they will have time to familiarize themselves with the cameras because there is no Ad Design at DJCC until next spring. I am glad I requested those cameras. I am ever more glad that we get such good support for the program. I have consistently been met with positive responses when I have requested new equipment for our kids.

Today I got some very nice compliments from Charlotte, Amber and Matt during student conferences. I thank you for the warm feelings, and I assure you, it made my day.

I am in the process of working with students individually, counseling them on college choices and even in some cases, whether or not to major in what I teach. My advice is never "blanket advice"... my advice is always based on conversations with the individuals. I always try to listen carefully to each student and tailor my comments to them as individual people. I know that the decision as to college majors is always a dramatic one for seniors, and so I give my best perspectives and hope that they will discuss their feelings with parents and other responsible adults who care, and then come to conclusions on their own after all of that advice and input. I feel that often times parents and teachers together can give the best solutions. When that is possible (to do parent and student conferences at the same time), I like to do that. Seniors get the next several days off in the morning due to TAKS testing, so it is a nice week for them. They have some time to catch up on sleep and school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!