Helping in the local community. The "servant" mentality.


Recently I have been taking on more and more projects to help people get some endeavors started with worthwhile youth oriented activities. I have had multiple requests from time to time that I have really liked, but I have simply been too busy to take them on. However, lately I have met some people who have sparked my interest to such an extent that I am going to make time to help them, even though this is the most active spring semester I have had in recent years...
That brings me to the point of what I want to discuss today. How many of us really take the time to assist in our local community when presented with the opportunity? I have found several rewards in doing so: primarily, the personal satisfaction derived from helping those who are trying to help others. I spoke with an assistant principal recently at one of our local high schools who is trying to build a youth program for a particular segment of the student population to help them form good life skills and become better citizens. How can I, as a teacher of high school students in this difficult age, be anything but enthused by this? So I manufacture the time needed to help him manage his project.

Creating time for the important stuff...

I have always been told, especially by my parents as I grew up, that I would always find a way to find the time for what I felt was most important. It is commonly called "priorities" in the normal nomenclature, and it is always interesting to see what people have set as their top most important tasks in life beyond the normal everyday tasks that we all do just to survive.

For some people, personal satisfaction is uppermost. What is it that I need to be happy? What do I "want" to do? Sometimes that is the top priority, especially for high school students. (I am sure that it was for me...that and my job at Goodner's Family Steakhouse!) It is part of the youth experience to have fun at every opportunity. I don't fault them for that, but I would encourage them as much as possible to think of ways that they can become servants. Not in the way that they may be imagining as they read this... just find a small way to serve someone with part of their discretionary time. It really is a matter of priorities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!