We just have to stop sometimes.

Every day this week when I have walked out to my car, I have realized that I missed out on the weather during one of the most beautiful times of the year. I was kind of sad when I realized it, but I have been so tired every day that I just had to go ahead and go home to rest. This weekend we have a wonderful 3 day weekend for the holiday that is both Texas State Fair Day and Columbus Day. I would love to go out to the fair, I only have a few weekends to get there this year. But I feel like I MUST catch some of the lovely Texas autumn. The sun has been out, the sky has been clear and blue, but the air is what really makes it special. There is a slight crispness, not really a chill, but a crispness. I love this time of year in this state, and I hate to go through too many more long workdays where I just miss the day. This weekend, even if its just a bikeride around the neighborhood... I will be outside.

Ideally, I will be here though. The great Texas State Fair. Eating a Fletcher's corn dog and maybe a big, juicy, fresh ear of corn on the cob with butter. I don't care how jaded a person is or how bad life gets, there's nobody that wouldn't be happy with fall fever at the fair in October. It's just lots of fun. There are people from all over, converging in the pursuit of a cultural phenomenon like no other. It is rare to find so many people who lose sight of their day to day existence and just turn into little kids again. The food is half the reason, and as a person who remembers going to my first TSF in 1968, it has been food that I have been fond of for a long, long time. There have been many weird additions in recent years, for sure... I guess the big addition this year is the newest lineup of fried foods. It is Texas after all... the one I keep hearing about is fried beer. I can't imagine it really, but apparently they are pretzels with liquid inside deep fried. Hmmm.

Another liquid that has been fried into submission is the fried lemonade – Country Time® Lemonade flavored pastry is baked, then fried, glazed with a mix of lemonade, powdered sugar, and lemon zest. They have even developed a Deep Fried Frozen Margarita - Magarita mix flavored fried funnel cake batter, doused in tequila and served in a salt rimmed glass. Why? I don't think I will be trying any of those.

I will be tempted by these though... how does Texas Fried Caviar sound? Black-eyed peas are fried and laced with spices blended with Old Bay® Seasoning. It comes in Spicy variety. That plus some corn and a corn dog will be more calories than I have had the entire week, but it may just be worth it if I get to go. If I don't, well... next year who knows what they will add to the menu? One thing I know will never go off the menu is the old Texas State Fair standard... Fletcher's!
My personal favorite... I can't live without one of these when I go to the TSF.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!