Oh wow.

Wow. This has been such a long few days. They say there is no rest for the weary, but I am about to disprove that old saying. My body is almost numb from dealing with all of the projects and competitions this week, but I am about to deliver the projects for judging, and I submitted the website for District judging last night at about 8 pm. I am ready to put SkillsUSA behind me for awhile!

If curious to see how the students in District 4 did, you can access the site that the judges from Leo Burnett in Chicago are looking at by visiting this URL: http://djcc.lisd.net/adskills2010 I will talk later about how our four kids from DJCC fared, but since judging is ongoing at this point, the students are only identified by number. I was proud of how they did with such a short amount of time. (Less than 3 hours total.) The awards and project display take place next week in Waco, so there will be a short trip out of town next weekend, but it won't be for long. We intend to drive to Waco on Friday and be back before the end of the day. If we need to transport students to the awards ceremony, we will leave again with them on Saturday morning. Last year, Isaac and Adam were the 1st and 2nd place winners at District. Adam was supposed to compete yesterday, but he did not make it, so we will see if any DJCC students will step up to the forefront this year. I am hopeful, but not making any assumptions. There were many good entries.

This week, the lab has been buzzing with creative activity! Late nights and lots of cups of coffee... a little cold pizza, and a nice surprise visit from Andi and Kelley with a special "Skillz Survivors" cake that they brought up to the studio. It was sweet of them to think of us, being college girls with stresses of their own. I am always happy to see the daughter. It is nice to see people from the outside of the department who care about us and are thinking of us. I'm very lucky to have lots of former students who check in on me now and then, and I think we are forming a community of friends in this group of designers who will stay in touch with each other for years to come. As I was told one time by someone who was looking at the positive things in the teaching profession, "you will know lots of people in your old age, and they will always be there for you."

The next week is supposed to get cold again, and imagine this... more snow? It is in the forecast for Tuesday, another few inches. It is hard to believe for Texas to have a month with this much snowfall. Must buzz off for now, I have a few places to go before the "sleepies" completely take over my Saturday afternoon.

Arreviderci! I'll leave you with a few photos from today's District 4 Ad Design contest.

Students competing at DJCC during the District Skills competition in Advertising Design for SkillsUSA
Intense concentration.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!