Pushing beyond requirements.

More. More. More.

Image result for the last time quotesSometimes that word "more" means something very good. I am very proud to say that many of my students this year really got the full good out of the meaning of more. Let me explain...

I decided that even though in late spring, I likely could have gone into a retirement holding pattern this year and not pushed my students to do a second major advertising design presentation, I decided not to do that. Instead, I decided not to take the easy road at the end of my teaching career, but I decided "let's see if we can push a bit and do even more!"

I had given myself some options in my plans, just in case I felt that they were getting senioritis too badly and were "done", so to speak.

I was very happy that not only were most of my students still willing to work hard, but there were also a whole lot of my upper level students who were (gasp!) voluntarily coming to me and asking if they could do a solo presentation that they were NOT required to do so that they could prove to themselves that they could handle a presentation on their own, even without a team. I was really particularly impressed with these people. I will state their first names here out of respect: Heather, Amanda, Emmalee, and Colin. Three young ladies and one young man. Three juniors and one senior.

I learned a lot about teenagers this week.

Yep, after 40 years of working with teenagers...they can still find ways to be surprising!


I learned that the world underestimates and typically under-respects them. The world includes me, I am afraid. I knew that they were smart, and that they were talented, and that they could outperform many adults. I didn't know how badly they wanted to prove to the world that they could do just that. I feel that there are lots of adults who should be worried and looking over their shoulder to see what is coming along.

These are young pros. They are ready for the workforce. They are the ones that make me get choked up the last few days of my teaching career. They are who I can count on to run the world as I prepare to let go of the reins. I am excited about seeing what they can do to make it all work out better than my generation did.

The world is in good hands.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!