An amazing day!

Today was the first day of our yearly middle school tours here at Career Center East. My mind was blown today when we had the first two schools come to visit. In the morning, we had Downing Middle School which feeds into Marcus High School, and Creek Valley Middle School which feeds into Hebron High School. We had our CCE designers greet the students and spend some time with each of them, and then we offered brochures and asked the students to sign an interest list if they felt that our class might be a good fit for them. There were 38 Downing students that signed the list in the morning, but there were a whopping 90 from Creek Valley who signed! In just one day, we have over 120 students who have shown interest in the class. That is amazing, especially considering that 120 is the maximum enrollment that we can handle here at CCE during the course of one school year! And we got that in one short day!

It really makes me excited to see what happens the rest of this week when we host Briarhill (MHS feeder), Lakeview (TCHS feeder), Arbor Creek (HHS feeder), Lamar (MHS feeder), and Griffin (TCHS feeder). By all practical purposes, we should be able to add another 100 per day, which means that we will have over 500 potential new students on a list within the end of this week. Wow! Maybe we will benefit from this and maybe we can expand our course offerings here and even offer some more on the other side of the district - at a new DJCC! That would be great. I doubt that I will be teaching for more than about 6-7 more years, but it will benefit the teacher that comes in after me greatly for us to recruit all of these new students.

In other news, my students continue to crack me up. They are such a social bunch of kids, and a few of them are really funny. They keep me laughing up until I leave every day! I've been happy to say that I have gotten to know many of them very well this semester, and they really seem to have a strong interest in design and art, but are also fun and well rounded students. I have always said that I feel lucky to be able to teach such a diverse and interesting group of individuals, and every day that I am here convinces me even more of that.

Carpe Diem!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!