The problem with stereotypes is...

it is really oversimplification. It allows people to not go to all the hassle of figuring out what people are REALLY all about and just make assumptions based on very little evidence. For example, I am an artist. For as long as I can remember, I have been referred to as the "artsy" girl, the "artsy" lady. Forever! Assumptions are made by many people that because I am "artsy" I can't handle complexities. That all I can do is "make pretty pictures" and that I must not be very substantive.

I find that to be a wrong assessment, and it is merely a stereotype of female artists in particular. Other stereotypes run rampant about those in the artistic community. Counselors will often automatically try to "dumb down" college schedules thinking that we "artsy" ones cannot handle math or science. Also an unfair and unwise assumption. Although those were not favorite subjects for me, I handled them in college with a fair amount of ease - probably about the same level of success that most science students have when they are in their required fine arts classes. In other words, who knows? Assuming that a science student cannot be an artist as well as a scientist makes no sense. Neither does the reverse. Leonardo di Vinci anyone?

Stereotyping can sometimes be destructive to others' self worth and their own developing attitudes about who they are and who they untimately can become. Before you lump people into any stereotypical group - especially if you have never bothered to have a conversation with those people whom you label - think about how you are affecting other people and their attitudes about you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The happiness train is back on track today!

A new topic...Mark has been facing a new challenge.

Conner keeps hitting them out of the park!